Monday 23 December 2013

Tartan Top Picks

There's no escaping tartan this season as the grunge print appears to be pretty popular amongst the AW13 trends. I'm sure almost all of us have strolled into a shop to be faced with clouds of tartan decorating the place, so I decided to collect together a few of my tartan favourites.




1) Monochrome Sweater - New Look
Perfect for a casual day out, the monochrome feature of this sweater adds a modern twist to the 'Old Britain' vibe that tartan brings. I absolutely heart jumpers and can't get enough of them, so of course I fell for this one! If you've read my New Look Knitwear Top Picks, you've probably guessed my obsession for teaming collars with jumpers. To keep the monochrome theme, I would layer this sweater with a black collar, embellished with beads in order to boost a slight air of charisma from the tartan. I'd also add a pair of black jeans and ankle boots to keep the sophisticated yet moody style.

2) Tartan Floral Skirt - Boohoo
The thing about this skirt that first caught my eye was the way that two completely similar, yet completely different trends fuse together to formulate a rebellious, yet sophisticated garment. The royal reds and blues in both opposing designs harmonize them together, whilst the non-rhythmic, slightly loosely positioned flowers contrast against the stiffly structured tartan nature. For an on trend look, I'd team this skirt with a white swing cami top in order to focus all the attention on the skirt, yet add a small statement necklace to modernize the look.

3) Crop Top - USC
Quite often when I decide on wearing a plain high waisted skater skirt for the day, I generally think to myself "why have I not yet bought a patterned croptop to wear with this?" and I think this one would be great for my small dilemma. The rich colours work well together, and , with its high neck and long sleeves means you don't even need to think about accessorizing. Although, in these cold winter months, I would add a plain woolly scarf and a biker jacket would go perfectly with it.

4) Red Pea Coat - Miss Selfridge
Delivering an urban appeal crossed with a slither of rebellious edge, the small leather features of this coat work well against the woven garment as it gives it a confident and definite finish. The way that the pattern design on the shoulder panel and the pockets is rotated gives it a slightly unstable structure as it distorts the pattern as a whole, by working across the direction of the pattern on the main body. I also like how the buttons and collar give it a slight military style twist.

5) Purple Tartan Puplum - Pretty Little Thing
Creating a quirky style, punk meets romance as the rebellious, gothic print is manipulated into a sophisticated, feminine peplum. My love for peplums have grown over the year, and I love how well this clash of romanticism and rebellion works. For an urban style, I would team this peplum with skinny coated jeans, in order to emphasize the peplum feature of the top.

6) White Tartan Skort - Topshop
Skorts are beginning to have a major impact on the AW13 trends, and I will definitely be looking out for one in the January sales! I like the asymmetric feature of this skort, creating a slightly daring edge with the small slit at the front and how the rich shade of red empowers the otherwise monochromatic colours. I would team this skort with a plain cami and chunky knit cardigan in order to soften the look.

What do you think about this years tartan trend? How would you style these items?

No comments:

Post a Comment