Tuesday 27 August 2013

VMA's 2013 Red Carpet Fashion

So the MTV VMA's happened over the weekend in Brooklyn, New York, and as per usual with any event alike, I found myself swooning over the variety of celebrity looks gracing the red carpet. Design choices ranging from elegant floor length numbers to daring thigh-high slits presented me with a huge difficulty in finding my favourite celebrity's look. Keep reading here to see what these glam people wore and determine your favourite VMA 2013 style.

                            Rita Ora

It's not often that I dislike Rita Ora's style choices, and this is definitely not one of those times! This charismatic beaded bodice appeals to the eye as it sparkles in the gleaming light creating a magical and enchanting vibe. The lengthy head-turning feathered train adds to the magical affair as every female recalls their childhood days when they dressed up in a fairy costume with the feathers and plastic healed shoes with the fluff on. Rita's choice of traditional black heels adds classiness to her look, furthermore contrasting with the more forward move of the elongated slit.

                             Lady Gaga

Pleasantly, I was surprised by Lady Gaga's refined choice of styling this time around - you could almost call it 'Hollywood glamour'-like. The wet leather appearance of this dress forms a grunge style feel whilst the over sized bow contrasts in a soft and ever-so-slightly innocent way. The polka dot train contradicts the grunge leather look by appearing fantasy-like. Adding a chic and over all dignified presentation, the long style and simple structure of the dress is really what surprised me the most with Lady Gaga's outfit choice.

                                       Ariana Grande 

Once again, Ariana Grande went for her traditional trademark style of chic and girly, following the trends of the particular season, and I love it! The fitted bodice cinches in at the waist, showing off her figure, whilst the skater style skirt flares outwards in a 50's fashion to create volume and to slightly dramatise the look, (although not in a too OTT way).

                                   Alison Williams

American actress Alison Williams looked extremely dignified in this cream shift dress covered in oodles of sequins and beads. This crisp number portrays a fantasy-like attire as we picture a snowy winter landscape.. in August. Classically, the sleeve cuffs add a professional finish to this dress as they add detail in a smart manner. Against these subtle black courts, this frothy contrivance looks purely stunning.

                             Crystal Reed

Teen Wolf star Crystal Reed graced the red carpet in this gorgeous fishtail design. Emphasising her curves, the layered peplums modernises the traditional floor length gown. I love how the flounce of the fishtail is also split into two, making a slight consistency of the layered effect/theme going on. This factor, along with the sweetheart neckline prevents the dress from being too plain, by giving it some simple details. I also love how the shade if red is that of similarity to the red or the carpet, suggesting pure glamour and class. The leopard print clutch definitely spices up the outfit.
                              
                             Ellie Goulding 

Ellie Goulding is in fact, one of my biggest style icons. I just love her chic, modern and slightly edgy fashion. I love how the designer of this dress has taken a long classic, soft grey number and adapted it so simply by embellishing it in edgy silver studs to portray a slightly grunge look. Contemplating the great thigh-high slash, the high neckline also adds to the slightly edgy effect.

                                    Jennifer Hudson

I love the whole gothic, monochrome theme that Jennifer Hudsun has going on here. Along with the wet leather look, monochrome is dead on trend ready for AW13, and I love how Jennifer works them together! Unlike the majority of others walking the red carpet, she has gone for a more street style and somewhat casual appearance compared to the glamorous gowns screeching stardom. I also love the asymmetric side peplum trend which also a dominating featire of the cat walks for AW13.

                            Katy Perry

I still haven't really decided whether I like Katy Perry's look here or not. The dress' long sleeve and high neck nature smothered in a feline animal print does portray this number as a mere fancy dress costume or a winter coat, yet for some wild reason, it still works! In attempt to jazz things up a bit, feather butterflies have been added, although I think that they do make this frock appear too overloaded on top of the already busy leopard print. However, I do like how the daring slash up her thigh does break up the busyness and how her simple heeled sandles complement the dress in a colour coordinating way.

                             Miley Cyrus

I can't really say that I did think much about Miley's outfit, other than 'did she really wear leggings to a red carpet event?!' Although the colourful hanging beads do add an element of charisma, this isn't something I would wear myself! All I can really say, is that, Miley, I'm disappointed this time.

                             Selena Gomez

Being another one of my style icons, it's not wonder that I fell in love with Selena's red carpet dress. I do think that it was a very bold move, having the bralet on show, but I definitely think it works as it provides detail and is different to the usual full length gown. I love how the material folds over, a though it is revealing the bralet as it adds a daring feel. I love how the way that the left sleeve still continues by snaking around the back as it is slightly unexpected, as well as the way that the seams are lined with glistening beads, adding detail and edginess to the dress.

                             Taylor Swift

 Yet again, here is another one of my great style icons, so of course I love how she opted for a 1920's Hollywood glamour look for this event. I particularly like how the dipped neckline is slightly forward, yet still manages to appear classic. The area of glitter covering the bust stands out, screaming 'stardom', whilst the bandage characteristic of the bodycon style creates a foxy feel. I also love how she's accessorized with glittering bangles which complement the sparkles on the dress.


What are your thoughts of these red carpet appearances? Can you determine a favourite?

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely loved taylor's dress, I always fancy her wardrobe choices :)

    ReplyDelete